Today on Mastering Midlife:
● Trigger words that create tension between two people.
● How he defines inquiry and why it matters in how you handle a conversation.
● Why deep breathing can help you listen to another person.
● What Unconscious Bias is and why it affects how we make decisions.
● His experience in helping others engage in tough conversations.
● His tips when it comes to controversial topics.
● The difference between a debate and a dialogue.
● The event in his childhood that changed his view on life.
● His dissertation topic on leadership and racial identity.
Fred joins me today to discuss how we can engage other people with opposing opinions and have a decent, productive conversation. He shares his passion for helping people communicate with each other better and describes the event that changed his perspective on life. He explains what trigger words are, what unconscious bias is, and the kind of topics people always avoid. Fred also shares tips for making sure you have a dialogue with another person - instead of a debate.
“Leaders, no matter where you are, you have to understand who you are as a human being and your impact on others.” - Fred Jefferson III
Frederick Jefferson III is the Senior V.P. of Jefferson and Associates, a consulting and executive coaching firm focused on organizational diversity and inclusion in the 21st century. As an executive leadership coach, he has over 20 years of international experience coaching clients in the areas of organization change management, action learning, strategic communications, and change management. He is also part of the Leadership Coaching Certificate Program as Program Faculty. He holds a master’s degree in Organizational Development from American University/NTL, a bachelor’s degree in Organizational Psychology from Cambridge College, and is currently pursuing his doctoral degree in Human and Organization Learning.
Fred Jefferson’s Words of Wisdom:
● Finding spaces to pause is the best tool to use wherever you are.
● How we do things can have a great impact.
Connect with Fred Jefferson:
Get FREE Access to the Only 10’s Course
Are you struggling with knowing what, when, and how to focus your efforts to get things done? As a long-time sufferer of severe ADD, I understand the struggle - and that’s why I created the Only 10’s system. This system has help me and thousands of others clear the clutter and focus their energy on getting the right things done.
The Only 10’s free online course is based on my proven system to help you focus your attention and maintain momentum around your day-to-day life.
Thanks for tuning into today’s episode of the Mastering Midlife Podcast: How to Thrive When the World Asks the Most of You with Mark Silverman. If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the show on Apple Podcasts and leave us a review.
If you have any questions about this episode please get in touch.