Today on Mastering Midlife:
● How a responsible man’s suicide sparked Randy to notice that “this is not an uncommon story.”
● Suicide rates in the Mountain West are even higher than national average and could not be ignored.
● 80% of Suicides are Men, 70% are White Men (more than double other demographics).
● The statistics are growing among every demographic.
● If you don’t measure up, some come to see suicide as an option (though mental illness, substance abuse, and gun culture account for 90% of suicides).
● Finding value in something “other than the material.”
● How do we focus on connection, service, and spirituality to combat the isolation?
● How the Detroit Free Press is looking for ways to explore further, and find solutions.
When Randy Essex wrote the article, “Suicide in America the Dark Side of the American Dream is Killing White Men,” he thought he would get a huge amount of negative feedback because of race and politics (which he did) but overwhelmingly, he experienced an opening up. People wrote him and started deep and revealing insights. Our conversation moves from “white privilege” to mental health and substance abuse to service and connection. This is a conversation that cannot be had enough.
“The implication is, if you don’t make it, it’s because you’re not smart enough, not savvy enough, didn’t work hard enough, you’re a failure and it’s your fault.” – Randy Essex
Randy’s career in news has been a seminar in America: He has led award-winning coverage of presidential politics in Iowa and Ohio; the auto industry and urban rebirth in Detroit; and immigration in Colorado. He has a record of leading exclusive, impact enterprise that increases digital reach.
Connect with Randy Essex:
Get FREE Access to the Only 10’s Course
Are you struggling with knowing what, when, and how to focus your efforts to get things done? As a long-time sufferer of severe ADD, I understand the struggle - and that’s why I created the Only 10’s system. This system has help me and thousands of others clear the clutter and focus their energy on getting the right things done.
The Only 10’s free online course is based on my proven system to help you focus your attention and maintain momentum around your day-to-day life.
Thanks for tuning into today’s episode of the Mastering Midlife Podcast: How to Thrive When the World Asks the Most of You with Mark Silverman. If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the show on Apple Podcasts and leave us a review.
If you have any questions about this episode please get in touch.